Friday, March 28, 2014

Year of the Bugg

Jake Bugg, that is.


Jake Bugg is probably my favorite new artist of the past year or so.

Most people probably have heard him, if they haven't heard of him.  His song "Lightning Bolt" was the backdrop for this Gatorade commercial that ran constantly last spring and summer.


Jake Bugg's first Album, Jake Bugg, was released to quite a bit of critical acclaim in late 2012.  I remember laying in bed, and reading the review for the album...and it basically said he was a young, British, Bob Dylan.

So I was a bit intrigued.  So I listened to a couple of his songs on YouTube, and thought his album was worth a download.  Let's just say this... it's amazing.  To think that a 19 year old created an album with that much depth and talent is jaw dropping.

I'd like to share a few of his songs here, and since most people have heard "Lightning Bolt", how about a few of them you probably haven't heard?

My two youngest boys (ages 10 and 11) Love Jake Bugg, and this song "Taste It" is one of their favorites:


My personal favorite off the first album is "I've Seen It All".


And just so you don't think all his songs are basically uptempo acoustic... here's the example of a ballad.

So, you know...the kid is pretty talented.  I was impressed, and I recommended him to anyone who would give him a listen.

And then, this past September...he tweets out that his "second album is finished" and he released Shangri La in November of last year.

Named Shangri La after the name of the studio he recorded it in.
Needless, to say... I was hopeful...but I was also a bit worried.  I mean, he's still just a kid (20) now, and how could he have enough...what... experience? moxie? something... to pull off another album that came off as mature as his debut album.

Except it was.  It was just as good.  Maybe better.

A few of my favorites would include:  "There's a Beast and we All Feed It"

There's also the extremely catchy "Slumville Sunrise"


and also: A Song about Love


Do yourself a favor...check him out.  You don't have to buy the albums, if you don't want.  Go to his youtube channel...sample some songs... order a few of them, I doubt you'll regret it.

Whenever I'm working in my office, listening to songs...I usually have my Google play library open, and I just random play through all the music on there.  Whenever Jake Bugg comes on...it always makes me smile.  He's talented, he's enjoyable, and he has a unique sound to himself.

I'm hoping 2014 will be the "Year of the Bugg"

Also...just announced a few days ago...he's releasing a new four song ep, coming out soon...He's the title track from that... called "Messed Up Kids".


No comments:

Post a Comment