Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Weekend to Remember


With the release of "Modern Vampires of the City" the 'Alternative' rock band Vampire Weekend have created a modern alt rock classic.

I'm no music reviewer... in fact, to be honest I usually struggle to understand what music reviews mean.  What does "rich texture" mean when talking about music?  Or a soundscape?  What the heck is that?

I'm a music lover, but I'm really not into descriptions of what I hear.  If I like it, I'll generally listen to it, and I'll even mention the band and/or artist to my friends and family.



The first time that I'd ever even heard of Vampire Weekend, I was watching Saturday Night Live back in 2008 and they were advertised as next week's musical guest.  I said to my wife, "Who the heck is Vampire Weekend?"  I think I was expecting some sort of Goth/Punk/Hardcore band.  The next week they came on and played "A-Punk", and it took me about 15 seconds to decide that I liked them.

Here is the live performance from SNL of the first single "Diane Young" from MVoftheC.


Vampire Weekend is just getting better and better.

The last album that I was THIS addicted to, was Torches by Foster the People.  And, Modern Vampires of the City is a much, much better album than that.  I enjoy listening to the whole thing... but if you want to check out some standout tracks.....try these:
-Unbelievers
-Diane Young
-Everlasting Arms
-Ya Hey

However, if reviews are your thing...here are a few for Modern Vampires of the City:
Entertainment Weekly
Rolling Stone
Pitchfork.com
Spin

So, if you like music, and you like 'alternative' music, but with a little 'pop' thrown in there...give Vampire Weekend a listen.  It's good stuff.  I'll leave you with "Walcott" one of their first hits from the debut album.


No comments:

Post a Comment