Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Book Talk: For Those with Eyes to See


So, as I said in my last book post a few weeks back, I'm not a book reviewer.  In fact, I cannot fathom how someone would become such a thing.  It's not that I don't appreciate it... I'm always reading the reviews of the books I am choosing to read, or have read, or whatever.  I understand it takes skill and knowledge that frankly, I do not have.

However, I do enjoy reading and try to get through as many books as I can.  I can never get through as many as I want to, and I usually have a "waiting list" about 10 books deep.

A bit over a year ago, I signed up for twitter, and one of my earliest "follows" was a young writer by the name of Troy Blackford.  Mainly because it seemed like we had similar interests (mostly Stephen King) and he described himself as a "80's kid", which I was too (well, 80's teenager anyway).  So I followed Troy's twitter feed, and I thought that would pretty much be it.

Little did I know that he is writing constantly, and posting many of his stories... free for the world to see on his blog.  I read a few of them, but on a few "special occasions" Troy posted a link for FREE copies of his Trilogy:  Critical Incident, Emergent Pattern, and the soon to be released finale... Inimical Outcome.

I really have enjoyed these "novellas", and so a few weeks back, Troy mentioned on Twitter that he was looking for people to read copies of his collection of short stories "For Those with Eyes to See", I contacted him, and he sent it to me...and I just finished it.

So, where to begin?  Like I said, I'm not really a book "reviewer".  But, I really enjoyed these stories.  They were fast paced, and quick... which is important to me in short stories (I hate reading a book of short stories, and thinking...'when will this end?') .

The other point I'd like to make, is these stories were very original and creative.  I found myself often thinking "where did he come up with this?"... and I mean that in a good way, it was a positive.  I'd find myself smiling as I was reading the introduction to several of the stories.  You just never knew what road Troy was going to take you down.

A few of my favorites from this collection:  Ghost in the Machine, Discontinuity (I'm not sure if this is the same title in the book...I'm going off of Troy's website here..and that's the story, about the person stuck in the room, but I digress), and the title story "For Those with Eyes to See".  There were certainly other stories in there that I enjoyed.. but I'm having trouble remembering the titles right now.

Truthfully?  I enjoyed them all.

Troy also has a "full length" Novel available (I'm pretty sure he'll even send you a signed copy if you want) entitled:  Through the Woods.  Which I haven't read yet, but it is certainly on my "list" of books to purchase.



So, if you like stories, and even better, if you like stories that are imaginative, and fun, and fast moving... I'd highly recommend that you give Troy Blackford's For Those with Eyes to See a try.  I think you'll enjoy it, I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment